Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have a lot of brand-new strategies and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a brief period of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless individuals the chance to reduce or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and pain-free method to remedy vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to help ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other physicians or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by elegant advertisements about a specific laser. Pick the physician, not the laser.
3. Choose a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician doesn't know can injure you.
Ask for info on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. If your physician won't inform you, discover another one.
5. Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Search for a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be decontaminated before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low expense" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The potential savings are unworthy the threat of receiving less than expert care!
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not expect to see completely. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon on the planet can't guarantee 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely offer better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Think about waiting up until the brand-new lenses are available. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the advantages: for the majority of my latest blog post people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of countless individuals all over the world.