Ready to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never ever prior to have many new methods and clinical advancements emerged in such a short amount of time. LASIK surgical treatment, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of individuals the chance to reduce or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and pain-free way to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will be happy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be deceived by expensive ads about a specific laser. Select the doctor, not the laser.
3. Select a medical professional who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional doesn't understand can harm you.
4. Request details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery issue rates. Find another one if your physician won't inform you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute. The prospective savings are not worth the risk of receiving less than skilled care!
7. Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, however do not anticipate to see perfectly. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world can't ensure 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as specific as each patient. Be careful of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you most likely are. You're not buying a automobile; this is real LASIK eye surgical treatment.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use much better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting up until the new lenses are offered. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight site here of countless individuals worldwide.